Working for Barung Landcare offers a unique opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the environment and your community. Here are 5 reasons why you should work for Barung Landcare:
- Purpose-driven work: At Barung Landcare, you'll be part of a team dedicated to ecological conservation and restoration. Your efforts will directly contribute to improving the health of the environment and enhancing biodiversity.
- Making a difference: Barung Landcare allows you to see the tangible results of your work in terms of restored landscapes, healthier ecosystems, and empowered communities.
- Connection to nature: If you have a passion for the outdoors and a desire to work in natural environments, Barung Landcare provides ample opportunities to spend time outdoors, working hands-on with the land and engaging with local flora and fauna.
- Community involvement: Barung Landcare is deeply rooted in community engagement and collaboration. You'll have the chance to build strong connections with local communities, stakeholders, and fostering a sense of belonging and camaraderie.
- Personal fulfillment: For many people, working for Barung Landcare offers a sense of fulfillment that may be lacking in traditional corporate roles. Knowing that your work is contributing to the greater good and leaving a positive legacy for future generations can be incredibly rewarding.
The primary aim of this role is to oversee field operations within the Barung Landcare Natural Area Services unit, with a focus on ecological land restoration. You'll be responsible for executing high-quality on-ground natural area services aimed at rejuvenating and preserving the natural environment. This involves integrating cutting-edge techniques and the latest scientific knowledge to fulfill our organisation's vision of promoting sustainable Landcare practices.
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of ecological land restoration projects, including rehabilitation, restoration, revegetation and species habitat management, to protect natural values and assets, ensuring programs are implemented in accordance with approved plans, specifications, relevant guidelines and administrative requirements, safely, on time and within budget.
- Develop ecological land restoration projects, including project planning specifications, documentation, cost estimates, procurement and monitoring, and oversees the implementation of works programs including the allocation of resources to ensure works programs are completed effectively, within budget and to deadlines.
- Ensure organisational systems and procedures are used to manage and report on projects, field operations management, workplace health and safety, and incident response.
- Supervise a dispersed team by setting and maintaining performance standards, developing team and staff capability and providing effective feedback.
- Build and maintain a strong safety culture, and apply Barung Landcare Integrated Management System, safe work procedures and the requirements of the Work Health and Safety Act to ensure the safety of personnel and the public.
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years experience in ecological land restoration
- Demonstrated well-developed supervisory and team leadership skills for the implementation of field and operational activities
- Demonstrated ability and experience in cost estimation, budgeting and planning and programming.
- Strong SEQ plant identification skills - native and exotic across a range of ecosystems.
- Experience applying a range of different ecological restoration approaches and revegetation practices.
- A high level of physical fitness.
- A commitment to safe work practices and a willingness to promote a safety culture.
- Clear communication and strong interpersonal skills and report writing.
- Current, valid Commercial operator’s licence (ground application of herbicide) issued under the Agricultural and Chemical Distributions Control Act 1966
- Construction Safety White Card
- Current driver’s licence
- First Aid & CPR certificate
- Chainsaw 1 & 2 certificate
About Barung Landcare
Barung Landcare is a leading community organisation working to develop ethical solutions for a sustainable future. The organisation includes a well-established native nursery, diverse education and engagement program, and high-quality bush regeneration services. Barung Landcare is focused on protecting and regenerating the rich diversity of natural resources of the Blackall Range and surrounds.
Attractive Salary & Benefits available for the successful candidate.