There is an opportunity for a Senior Ecologist or Botanist to join the Treetec team in Melbourne.
This role offers technical growth through working across a range of environments. You will contribute as part of an established team with a variety of projects. The role includes desk and field work, with great flexibility.
Treetec is an ecological and arboricultural company with specialist skills in canopy-based research, ecological survey and assessments as well as ecological restoration and habitat creation. As such, our team includes specialists in the botany, arboriculture and ecology fields. We undertake ecological restoration and habitat creation & monitoring, camera trap surveys, long-term monitoring, project management, botanical surveys, data analysis and consulting.
Clients include DELWP, VicTrack, Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research (ARI), La Trobe University, Parks Victoria, Zoos Victoria, VicRoads, WSP Australia, MRPV, VPA, Melbourne Water and various councils.
Treetec has a strong reputation, working efficiently to safely deliver client outcomes.
In collaboration with the team, you will assist Treetec's projects. Tasks may include:
- Undertaking field surveys often working away for 3 to 4 days at a time.
- Project planning- preparing or overseeing the preparation of proposal documentation for grant and tender submissions.
- Working directly with clients.
- Managing project approvals and ensuring compliance with applicable conditions.
- Managing project timelines and logistics, including the scheduling of field teams/resources, and defining project roles and responsibilities.
- Supporting field teams with relevant information, documentation and project specifications/scope.
- Overseeing and contributing to data compilation, management and submission (including GIS).
- Preparing project reports in line with relevant contracts/agreements to ensure reporting deadlines are met.
The applicant must:
- Maintain professional relationships with clients.
- Maintain a solid understanding of Commonwealth, State and Local Government environmental regulations and their application as well as relevant industry standards, practices and approvals processes.
You should have:
- A tertiary qualification in either Ecology, Botany, Zoology, and/or Natural Resource Management or equivalent.
- Excellent species ID skills and understanding of south-eastern Australian ecology.
- Substantial fieldwork experience.
- Working knowledge of consulting practice plus project management skills.
- Current manual driver's licence, White Card and First Aid Certificate.
- A focus on safe work practices and culture.
- A home office.
The following would be an advantage:
- Have experience developing and managing research projects.
- Previous experience leading/managing teams.
- An understanding of the principles of Habitat Hectare assessments (VQA accreditation).
- Workplace safety compliance expertise.
- 4wd training and chainsaw operation certifications.
In addition the specialist Botanist position requires:
- A tertiary qualification or substantial demonstrable skills/experience in Botany.
- Extensive plant identification skills throughout Victoria including use of dichotomous keys (e.g VicFlora).