People For Wildlife is a new Australian-based charity focused on the preservation of our natural world. We are looking for a media professional and communications specialist with experience in developing and implementing multi-channel communications strategies to raise awareness of science-based conservation in Australia and abroad.
This new full-time role is multifaceted and ideally suited to someone looking to use their strong media, communications, and project management experience to make a real difference.
- A difference in how people understand and value sustainable land management and conservation.
- A difference in how businesses apply science-based approaches in their conservation efforts and building more sustainable supply chains.
- A difference in the livelihoods of local and indigenous communities.
- Your ability to create clear, resonant and memorable messaging is admired far and wide.
- Your interpersonal skills allow you to work with people from all levels in highly a productive manner.
- You know the media world, and have learned how to generate reach and impact through great relationships, clever strategy, and compelling communications.
- You are known for your can-do attitude and high levels of initiative.
- In another life you may have been a psychologist such is your understanding of human behaviour as it relates to perception change.
- Juggling comes naturally.
- Working alongside a small, highly skilled, and dedicated team in a fast-paced environment is your idea of a good time.
- Your skills of persuasion and storytelling are founded on creative thinking, impeccable reasoning, and lashings of relatability.
Why Join Us?
- Help grow an ethical and high-impact organisation making genuine environmental and social changes.
- You will have the opportunity to shape this new role and to be involved in a wide variety of dynamic projects linked to the environmental sector, including sustainable development, science, education, media, and advocacy.
- Opportunity to travel to international conferences and remote wilderness landscapes worldwide. This includes Africa, Australia, Asia and the Americas.
- You will be responsible to the Director of People for Wildlife. No layers upon layers here!
Environmental communications expert
- Manage delivery of campaigns including development of strategy, project plan, communications plan, media plan, media relations and campaign reporting.
- Generate ideas and create written, graphical, and video content for People For Wildlife's website, reports, newsletters, and social media.
- Drive People For Wildlife's growth through solid consumer-engaging media, PR, and digital strategy and activations.
- Assist the team with coordination and management of the communication component of fundraising campaigns.
- Develop communications and PR activities for corporate, philanthropic, and government partnerships.
- Working with People For Wildlife team members, research, write, and edit topical and relevant articles and case studies.
- Prepare and oversee the production of short promotional videos and photo shoots.
- Keep informed of relevant international trends and activities.
Your Skills & Attributes
- Tertiary qualification (or relevant experience) in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field.
- 5-10 years experience in environmental communication, journalism, or media-related role.
- Experience developing and implementing multi-channel marketing and communications campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, creatively, and laterally to identify opportunities that win campaigns.
- Proven ability with a wide range of communications tools including developing engaging media releases, articles, presentations, and social media content.
- Excellent skills in writing for diverse audiences, including for news and online engagement.
- A sound understanding of international environmental issues that is underpinned by a passion for wildlife, science, and the natural world.
- Advocacy campaign experience a significant benefit.
- Have positive existing relationships with key media outlets.
- Skills in graphic design.
- Skills in video production and editing.
- Knowledge of international wildlife trade.
- Working knowledge of French and Italian a bonus but not essential.
- Willingness to travel periodically to regional and remote Australia, Africa, Asia, and Latin America, as well as to urban centres in Europe.
Our small team is committed, passionate, and driven to reach our goals, so we can continue to grow and empower individuals and communities to build more resilient ecosystems through sustainable use of natural products. If you possess the highest standards of professionalism and are passionate about using your communications and media experience to make a real difference, we want to hear from you!
- Preferably Cairns-based but negotiable.
- Partial work from home options can be discussed.
- Flexible hours also negotiable.
- Salary range from $81,770 to $92,820. Superannuation and 5 weeks holiday pay inclusive.