Purpose of position:
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the Chief Executive Officer of the PFA to represent the interests of the PFA members and the commercial fishing industry of NSW.
The PFA plays a representative and constructive role to increase the overall economic and ecological sustainability of wild harvest commercial fishers of NSW. The project officer will work with PFA members to build awareness of and support for the NSW commercial fishing industry, and to generate public support for the commercial fishing industry of NSW. This position requires a mix of communications skills and understanding of the commercial fishing industry.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer and the PFA CoM in the execution of their duties and liaise regularly with the Chief Executive Officer.
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer to establish policy positions and advice to the PFA CoM.
- Represent PFA in meetings and negotiations as required and promote activities of the PFA.
- Consult, liaise and negotiate with Government, Government agencies, agencies, authorities, members and individual to achieve the objectives of the PFA.
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer in the general administration, management and co-ordination of PFA operations and funded projects.
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer to coordinate PFA CoM and general meetings including preparation and dissemination of agendas, minutes, copies or relevant reports/correspondence ensuring transparency of the organisation to each meeting.
- Assist in sourcing and applying for funding of projects that aligns with the PFA Strategic Plan and vision.
- Any other duties as may be directed from time to time by the Chief Executive Officer.
Essential selection criteria
- Relevant tertiary qualification in natural resource management or equivalent experience. Equivalent experience in this field will be considered highly.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal/team skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and work to tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work both within a team and individually without direct supervision and a demonstrated high level of personal integrity and work ethics.
- Excellent computer skills, including a good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programmes.
- Willingness and ability to travel at short notice and regularly. Must also hold a current unrestricted NSW Driver's Licence.
Desirable selection criteria
- Sound understanding of fisheries management and theories.
- Knowledge of the NSW Commercial Fishing Industry.
- Experience with websites and online media.
- Knowledge of privacy and confidentiality principles.
- The position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the PFA.
- The position works closely with other members of the PFA team, the PFA CoM and the PFA members.