Join a global professional services leader
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanisation
GHD's Natural Resources group has an opportunity for a Botanist with 2-5 years of professional experience to join our Flora team in Victoria to assist with the delivery of a range of exciting and high-profile projects in south-eastern Australia.
You will have the opportunity to work in a broad range of conservation, impact assessment and monitoring projects, and with vegetation types including grassland, wetland, forest and woodland communities, from the Mallee to alpine areas, in partnership with GHD's clients, land managers and state government bodies.
You'll join our passionate and well-established cohort of terrestrial and aquatic ecologists, enabling you to grow your career and develop ecological expertise in a professional services environment.
You'll also maintain true work-life balance in a fun, flexible, supportive and inclusive team, blended with the opportunity to enjoy a secure and rewarding role, and the numerous benefits of being in a large-scale employee-owned organisation.
Your role can be part-time or full-time, and can be based in any of our Victorian offices, with a preference for Melbourne, Geelong or Mildura.
These diverse and exciting positions will see you involved in:
- Field-based botanical survey work, including vegetation mapping, ecological monitoring, targeted threatened flora survey and Vegetation Quality Assessments using the Habitat Hectares method.
- Ecological impact assessments and offsetting for a range of projects from small scale infrastructure impact assessments to assisting with major projects of state significance, e.g., Environment Effects Statements.
- Ecological monitoring, supporting monitoring programs, surveys for threatened species, running long-term monitoring projects, assessing the benefits of environmental watering projects etc.
- Supporting both ecology focused and multi-disciplinary projects, working with and supporting teams with the delivery of projects.
- Collaborating with GHD staff from a range of disciplines including Environmental Planners, Cultural Heritage Advisors, Spatial scientists, Hydrogeologists, Engineers, Project Managers etc.
- Opportunities to work on projects interstate and undertake fieldwork nationally.
- Be part of a team of 25 ecologists in Victoria and over 100 nationally.
- Take advantage of working with a technical experts from a range of fields to come up with innovative ways to answer ecological problems and deliver creative solutions for our clients.
What would you bring to the team?
- Between 2 and 5 years of experience conducting vegetation surveys in south-east Australia.
- Ability to develop and build upon client relationships.
- Good botanical identification skills, including experience using dissecting microscopes and identification keys.
- Experience undertaking Habitat Hectare assessments and VQA accreditation.
- Willingness to work flexibly and independently, particularly when undertaking flora surveys and traveling to remote locations.
- Willingness to work with a cohort of senior ecologists.
- Understanding of national and state environmental legislation and policy (e.g. EPBC Act, FFG Act, Planning and Environment Act).
- Well-developed interpersonal skills: A great teammate, who builds rapport with both internal & external partners.
- A current full Victorian driver's license.
- Bachelor's Degree in Science with a Botany, Ecology or Environmental Science major.