About Positive Change For Marine Life
Positive Change for Marine Life (PCFML) is a non-profit-organisation focused on designing and implementing programs to address marine conservation challenges in Australia, India and the Solomon Islands.
We focus on three core areas:
- Marine pollution & waste management.
- Coastal restoration.
- Education & training.
Through our core values of understanding, education and respect we aim to address exploitative marine industries through the creation of viable economic alternatives, driven by the communities who rely on the ocean for survival.
PCFML is a registered Australian Charity with Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status in Australia. We also have entities registered in India (Private Business Limited and Charitable Society) and the Solomon Islands (Registered Charity).
PCFML is seeking to appoint the following positions to the Australian Board:
- Treasurer - to oversee the financial management of the organisation and ensure that PCFML is adhering to the legal framework and approved budgets/financial strategy.
- Secretary - to oversee the administrative function of the Board and ensure that the organisation is running in adherence to the law and terms of our governing documents.
- General members - with demonstrable senior business management experience, to guide and develop our business growth and efficiency. We are looking for people with background, skills and experience in:
- Strategic planning.
- Business development and efficiency.
- Networking and stakeholder engagement.
- Brand development and positioning.
Knowledge & Skills
Ideally, candidates will possess:
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar position, preferably in the non-profit sector;
- A tertiary degree or qualification in a relevant field;
- Ability to uphold PCFML’s value and convey commitment to the organization's mission.
Treasurer position candidates will possess:
- Relevant experience in accounting and finance.
- The capability to oversee the operational aspects of the organisations’ finances.
Secretary position candidates will possess:
- At least 5 years experience working in a Company/Board Secretarial role or similar;
- An understanding of the effective functioning of a non-profit organization;
- An understanding of the ACNC Act 2012 the requirements of organisations listed on the Register of Environmental Organisations (REO);
- Planning and organisation skills with a great attention to detail;
- Good communication skills.
Roles & Responsibilities
Representation - advocating for PCFML (and the communities in which we work) to partners and donors.
Resourcing - securing financial support and pro-bono/in-kind products and services to benefit PCFML.
Strategy and planning - contributing to the long-term development and sustainability of PCFML and its programs with a focus on risk management.
Accountability - ensuring PCFML meets its legal and governance obligations, in Australia and internationally.
Additional Desirable Attributes
- An understanding of the non-profit sector and membership-based organisations in Australia.
- A history of working on marine conservation, international development and/or climate and/or associated issues in either a business, government or civil society capacity.
- A strong existing network that can help drive opportunities and outcomes for the organisation.
- Previous governance experience and/or relevant governance qualifications.
PCFML Board members are appointed for a minimum two-year period with Board members eligible for re-appointment. Service on the board is of a voluntary nature, however accommodation and travel expenses may be covered where necessary.
- Attend (remotely) four scheduled Board meetings of up to 1.5 hours each, as well as additional meetings from time to time that may be required throughout the year.
- Attend the AGM once per year for up to 2 hours. This will either be in-person or remotely (depending on COVID restrictions and the associated situation at the time).
- Contribute, on average, a minimum of 8 hours per month in addition to board meetings to network, promote and explore opportunities for the organisation.
- Direct special projects and assignments in conjunction with the CEO and Department Managers.