The Bellarine Catchment Network is a network supported by over 30 community groups, land managers and government organisations collaboratively delivering environmental projects across the Bellarine and Geelong region.
The Bellarine Peninsula is 34,000 ha in area with 137 km of bay, estuary and ocean frontage. Only about 5% of it retains its original vegetation cover. It is largely rural, (sheep, cattle and cropping) with 7 growing urban centres and development across all town areas.
This position has the primary function of delivering coastal programs including ‘Caring For our Bays’, Ramsar and Coastcare as well as Event Waste Reduction. This position forms part of the BCN management team and is primarily funded by State and Local Government.
An initial 24 month Contract is on offer with the potential to continue the position.
- Provide strategic leadership, management and support to the operations of the Caring for our Bays (CFOB) program, Ramsar program, Coastcare program, Event waste reduction program and other coastal-based programs. Implement and coordinate government and corporate grants, programs and groups in litter and waterway management, community awareness, capacity building and participation that relate to CFOB, Ramsar and linked BCN programs.
- Undertake supervisory role for one staff member.
- Manage and deliver Coastal programs that are designed to increase the profile and appreciation of Ramsar Wetlands, Corio Bay and the Bellarine shoreline of Port Phillip Bay, raise awareness of litter impact and reduce litter, sediments and nutrients that enter waterways flowing into our
Key Selection Criteria
- Tertiary qualification or relevant experience in environmental science, natural resource management, coastal management, waste and litter management or approved equivalent qualification.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and a proven ability to liaise and engage with community groups, schools, businesses, government agencies, and community members.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of waste / litter management, the issues related to litter and best practice litter management principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Coastcare and Ramsar as well as issues relating to coastal management.
- Highly motivated person with well-developed organisational, prioritisation, time management and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and supervise staff member/s.
- Good knowledge of marine / catchment processes, sustainable land management and Landcare.
- Previous participation in and organisation of community environmental programs.
- Experience in securing new or additional program investment, either in-kind or financial.
- Experience in preparing minutes, agendas and reports for committees.
- Knowledge of water quality and waterway protection issues and practices.
- A good knowledge of vegetation identification, Ecological Vegetation Classes, establishment, rehabilitation and management techniques.
- Ability to use word processors and software packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of GIS /GPS use and mapping.
- ACUP Certificate.