Ganalanga-Mindibirrina Indigenous Protected Area Coordinator


Northern Land Council


Borroloola, Northern Territory

Salary etc:

Base salary range: $85,394 - $95,811 p.a. + entitlements (SPO), Subsidised housing may be provided; Contract term: until 30 June 2018 (Extension subject to ongoing funding)

As the largest peak Indigenous organisation in Australia, the Northern Land Council (NLC) provides a family-friendly and flexible team environment with attractive remuneration packages, five weeks annual leave, district allowance, super, salary sacrifice, airfares and other entitlements.

The Indigenous Protected Area (IPA) Coordinator plays a crucial role working with Traditional Owners, rangers and other stakeholders to implement IPA Management Plans, facilitate ongoing cultural and natural resource management planning and activities, and ensure all compliance and reporting obligations are met.

This position will coordinate the planning and implementation of Indigenous cultural and land management activities across the Ganalanga-Mindibirrina IPA which covers the Waanyi Garawa Aboriginal Land Trust, south east of Borroloola.

The successful applicant will possess excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to maintain productive working relationships with government agencies, NGOs, community organisations and regional stakeholders, to meet the IPA management aspirations of the Traditional Owners.

Demonstrated project administration, finance management and report writing skills, with Tertiary qualifications in Natural Resource Management or Community Development, and/or extensive practical experience in Indigenous cultural and natural resource management, are essential.

Applicants should possess a sound knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal social and cultural challenges in northern Australia, and the ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal people and commit to community empowerment, training and development.

The willingness to travel to and work in remote locations and conduct extended field work is essential, as is possession of a ‘C’ class driver’s licence with the ability to drive 4WD vehicles safely.

Our Land, Our Sea, Our Life

For more information or to apply, click ‘How to apply’ below.

How to apply:

View details

Date published:


Closing date: