Southern Gulf NRM
Southern Gulf NRM is a not-for-profit community-based company responsible for planning and implementation of sustainable Natural Resource Management (NRM) in the southern Gulf of Carpentaria region of North West Queensland. Southern Gulf NRM is governed by a Board of Directors under the provisions of the Corporations Act 2001 and the Constitution of Southern Gulf NRM Ltd.
The Southern Gulf region covers 215,000 square kilometres and comprises the catchments of the Flinders-Cloncurry, Leichhardt, Gregory-Nicholson Rivers, Settlement Creek and Morning Inlet, and the Wellesley Islands.
Programs are delivered collaboratively with a range of stakeholders including landholders, all levels of government, industry groups, Traditional Owners, and conservation groups.
Purpose of Position
The GIS Officer will provide support to Southern Gulf NRM staff and community groups for the development and production of spatial, educational and reporting information, such as catchment, sub-catchment and property maps and other documents.
- Perform GIS activities and operate and maintain computer-based systems in the collection, analysis, interpretation and dissemination of information in a range of natural resource spatial information and monitoring systems crucial to Southern Gulf NRM’s ongoing planning processes.
- Develop and produce spatial, educational and reporting information, as required, such as regional, sub-catchment and property maps and other documents using aerial photography, satellite imagery and other information forms.
- Work as part of the Southern Gulf N RM Team to support a range of sustainable agriculture and environmental management projects.
- Support information management and GIS initiatives throughout the region (especially in collaboration with other Regional NRM Bodies, local government and State Agencies)through the supervision and coordination of the licensing, collation, data entry, storage, interpretation, access to and dissemination of natural resource spatial information and monitoring data and information (in a range of formats).
- Provide education, training and technical advice to GIS and Southern Gulf NRM and other staff that will enhance skills, productivity and confidence relating to the utilisation and applications of GIS software, spatial data and other information systems.
- Actively participate and cooperate in the implementation of the Regional NRM Plan.
- Provide advice to GIS and Southern Gulf NRM staff about, and encourage respect for, copyright and data/software licensing agreements throughout the region.
- Maintain an awareness of new technologies and pursue opportunities to widen the use of GIS.
- Reporting to the Program Manager Sustainable Land Management for achievement of project outcomes and for day to day work-plan implementation.
- SC1 - Demonstrated high-level ability to utilise Geographic Information Systems (particularly ArcView) and relational databases in the design, development and delivery of natural resource information to meet specific needs.
- SC2 - Demonstrated knowledge of the application of a range of remote sensing techniques and modelling methodologies to natural resource management.
- SC3 - Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain computer network operations, computing equipment and software technology associated with the practical application of GIS. Additional network administration skills would also be highly desirable.
- SC4 - Demonstrated skills in contemporary communication methods and reporting within both technical and administrative frameworks.
- SC5 - Demonstrated ability to maintain high technical standards with attention to detail and possession of good organisational skills which will meet the requirements of quality management and contribute to the timely achievement of goals, in a team environment.
NOTE: Applicants should specifically address each of the selection criteria, as short listing and selection will be based upon these selection criteria.
- A formal qualification in an applied science field (e.g. Information Technology, GIS, Cartography, Natural Resource Management) or equivalent.
- A current driver’s license.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Word, Excel, database systems, ArcView, email and the Internet.
OTHER FEATURES OF POSITION:
- Attendance at meetings outside of normal work hours will be required.
- Frequent travel and over-night stays around the region.
- Southern Gulf NRM is an equal opportunity employer, with employment under the Southern Gulf NRM’s standard employment agreement or as negotiated.