Southern Gulf NRM
Southern Gulf NRM is a not-for-profit community-based company responsible for planning and implementation of sustainable Natural Resource Management (NRM) in the southern Gulf of Carpentaria region of North West Queensland. Southern Gulf NRM is governed by a Board of Directors under the provisions of the Corporations Act 2001 and the Constitution of Southern Gulf NRM Ltd.
The Southern Gulf region covers 215,000 square kilometres and comprises the catchments of the Flinders-Cloncurry, Leichhardt, Gregory-Nicholson Rivers, Settlement Creek and Morning Inlet, and the Wellesley Islands.
Programs are delivered collaboratively with a range of stakeholders including landholders, all levels of government, industry groups, Traditional Owners, and conservation groups.
Purpose of Position
The Grazing Land Management Officer develops and implements projects that support the implementation of the Southern Gulf NRM Plan. The initial focus of this position will be on the establishment and implementation of property plans, land condition monitoring system; implementation of post-flood disaster recovery projects and delivery of extension and on ground works projects across the region.
Key Duties & Accountabilities
- Manage natural resource management projects including responsibility for aspects such as building relationships with landholders, site assessments, operational planning, works supervision, budget management, stakeholder management, monitoring, and evaluation and reporting.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships with the pastoral industry, community groups, government agencies, project investors and Traditional Owners in the development and delivery of extension advice, education activities and projects.
- Identify potential project funding opportunities and under direction, develop and submit applications for funding from Government, philanthropic and corporate sources in support of natural resource management in the region.
- Maintain a professional awareness of developments in policy and land management practices and provide advice and analysis of emerging issues and opportunities for consideration by Southern Gulf NRM management and the Board on natural resource management issues relevant to the Southern Gulf region.
- Contribute to the success of Southern Gulf NRM team through positive and flexible contributions to the management and administration of the organisation.
Appointment to the position will be based on the following selection criteria.
- Tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent experience in Agricultural or Environmental Science or related disciplines.
- Demonstrated sound scientific/technical knowledge of concepts, principles and procedures relevant to specific aspects of natural resource management, specifically grazing land management.
- Demonstrated experience in agricultural industry extension principles and practices and in successfully engaging with and providing capacity building activities for the agricultural and land management sectors.
- High level organisational skills to coordinate multiple projects and time management to meet conflicting deadlines.
- High level of written and oral communication skills including the ability to communicate complex concepts to a wide range of audiences and utilising appropriate technology and social media.
- Proven initiative and demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as an effective team member, meet deadlines and establish work priorities and achieve quality outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and document innovative projects, identify and seek funding opportunities and to set and deliver specific objectives in collaboration with partners and stakeholders.
- A sound understanding of demonstrated application of monitoring and evaluation principles and practice. Experience in the use of on-line MERI systems is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience relevant to natural resource management in a remote, rangelands region would be highly desirable.