SMK Consultants is a well-established, multi-disciplinary consultancy which offers environmental, engineering, surveying and associated consultancy services to a wide range of projects across rural Australia. We have a diverse team of qualified and professional staff which enables us to complete small, medium and large-scale projects across a range of sectors. SMK Consultants undertakes work across Australia, with the majority of projects located in northern New South Wales and Southern Queensland.
SMK Consultants undertakes works across a diverse range of sectors. Examples include (but are not limited to):
- Irrigated agriculture, with works including:
- Water licencing, approvals, management and policy;
- Flood work approval and management;
- Irrigation storage construction and approval;
- Obtaining approvals to expand irrigated crop production in undeveloped areas;
- Intensive animal industries (such as cattle feedlots);
- Extractive industries (quarries);
- Electricity generating developments (solar farms);
- Domestic and commercial septic system design (on-site wastewater management plans);
- Waste management and disposal (such as liquid trade waste management);
- Contaminated site management; and
- Asbestos consulting.
About the Role
We are currently seeking an entry-level to mid-level environmental consultant to join our Moree office. This role primarily involves conducting environmental assessments and preparing associated reports as part of development application processes. This involves a wide variety of tasks, including (but not limited to):
- Investigation, sampling and assessment of a range of contaminated sites.
- Investigation, air monitoring, planning and remediation of asbestos impacted sites.
- Preparation of development applications for a range of rural based developments including rural industries, feedlots, and quarries.
- Field assessments to determine habitat value and integrity;
- Liaison with relevant Local, State and Federal government agencies;
- Soil remediation and repurposing of contaminated land in line with National Environment Protection Measure Guidelines;
- Preparation of Environmental and Engineering Reports such as Statement of Environmental Effects, Environmental Impact Statements, Farm Management Plans, Noise and Traffic Impact Studies, Road Dilapidation Studies, Contaminated Site Investigations, Remediation Validation Reports and Conceptual Site Models.
- Client liaison and preparation of quotations and client invoices.
- Management of Environmental Protection Licences for agricultural infrastructure such as cotton gins and feedlots.
- Use of AutoCAD, Magnet Office, QGIS and other computer software to design Conceptual Site Models and Construction Proposals.
This is a full time position based in Moree, NSW. The selected candidate would need to reside in Moree or nearby.
The position is based on a 38-hour week between 8am and 5pm. The option of one rostered day off per month is available. The position is a wage-based remuneration position.
Ideal candidates should:
- Have two (2) years or more of experience in the private or public sectors working as a professional environmental engineer or scientist.
- Are able to use AutoCAD, Magnet Office, QGIS and general Microsoft programs.
- Have a sound understanding of a broad range of environmental technical areas;
- Have good verbal and written communication skills;
- Be able to work independently and as part of a group; and
- Have completed a degree in environmental engineering or science or related discipline.
An up-to-date knowledge of environmental legislation and industry best practice, and the ability to project manage projects involving multiple bodies (including clients, various government departments and sub consultants) is also desirable.
Applicants with backgrounds in contaminated site investigation, environmental engineering, rural development and experience with asbestos management are encouraged to apply for this position.