We are a small environmental consulting company that has been operating in the north east of Melbourne since 2004.
Our team of specialists are dedicated to achieving positive environmental outcomes whilst balancing this with the needs of our clients.
We are seeking 2 Field Ecologist to join our team of existing, zoologists, arborist and ecologists.
We have an exciting pipeline of work throughout metro Melbourne and rural Victoria and to meet the demands we need experts that will contribute to a diverse and interesting array of projects and services the company offers including:
- Flora and some fauna surveys and vegetation mapping
- Fauna Spotter/Catcher/Salvage
- Environmental Impact Assessments
- Threatened species, weed management and some basic landscaping plans
- Environmental education to various stakeholders including construction, community, schools etc
- Ecological research and monitoring programs/projects
- ISCA reporting
- Drone operations
- Threatened Species and Biodiversity Strategies and Conservation Management Plans
- Environmental Impact Assessments
The Field Ecologist will be capable of working with other field staff whilst at the same time manage small to large size projects within a variety of sectors including road, rail, property development and water .
You will collect and analysis data and produce technical reports. You will also be expected to provide accurate advice to clients on environmental policy and legislative implications of a project.
As the successful candidate, you MUST have the following;
- A high level of computer skills for report compilation (word processing and spreadsheet proficiency required). Some experience in the use of GIS software;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a focus on effective technical writing;
- A detailed understanding of Commonwealth, State and local environmental legislation and policies;
- Experience in ecological consulting or similar, including the planning and implementation of surveys and monitoring, data analysis and preparation of technical reports;
- Extensive plant and animal identification skills throughout Victoria;
- Broad understanding of environmental, ecological and site management issues;
- Ability to scope, price and financially track and manage a project;
- Ability to manage projects independently with limited supervision in a team environment and to work on and deliver multiple projects within required timelines and budgets.
- Current qualifications-VQA competence vegetation quality assessor (habitat hectare);
- Understanding of native vegetation offsets
- Experience with fauna spotter/catcher/salvage
- Experience in mentoring staff and clients;
- The ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with colleagues, clients and agencies from all disciplines and contribute to a range of projects;
- Some business development and marketing experience would be advantageous;
- Current manual drivers licence;
- Ability to work under pressure and work on multiple projects when required and;
- Flexible hours, work away from home for short periods will be required.
Conditions of Employment:
- Flexible work environment.
- Opportunities for career and professional development
- Use of a company pool car to travel to remote sites
- Team building days and weekends
- You are encouraged to bring your own ideas, skills and experience to the company
- Provide opportunities to learn new skills within other fields
Initially this position is on a casual basis with the view of possibly part or full-time employment.
The role will require some travel including staying away from home for short periods of time.
The salary is based on level of experience.