This is a unique opportunity to work on programs and lead a small team on the Great Barrier Reef Island National Parks including the Iconic Hinchinbrook Island focusing on pest, fire and weed control programs.
This role’s focus area is to lead and manage NRM programs and other marine park ranger related duties on Island National Parks within the North Tropical Coast sub region.
The position is based on Magnetic Island within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Parks Region, North Tropical Coast work unit, (refer to the Working in Guide and Location Guide for more information), however travel to other locations may be required from time to time. This includes overnight stays. Rangers work on a roster bases which can include regular weekend work.
- Carry out park management duties including plant operation and maintenance, natural and cultural resource management, project management, fire management, weed and pest control and the development and maintenance of park infrastructure.
- Assist with the development and implementation of annual work programs for recreational and infrastructure development including the allocation of resources within a limited budget.
- Perform compliance and enforcement tasks on suspected breaches of relevant acts and permit compliance. Assist senior staff and staff from other Agencies with investigations as required.
- Perform general public contact duties including answering enquiries and providing advice, park patrols and undertake liaison with various stakeholders as required.
- Follow and assist in emergency response procedures including natural disaster contingency plans, wildfire response procedures, search and rescue procedures and medical emergency procedures.
- Participate in a team and assist with the supervision of subordinate staff, students and volunteers and implement and monitor workplace health and safety, staff performance management measures and equal employment opportunity principles and practices.
- Undertake administrative duties such as compiling and maintaining maintenance records and procurement of goods and services.
- Foster a workplace culture that supports and promotes the interests of First Nations people and actively engage through our work to contribute to better outcomes for First Nations people.
What we are looking for:
We’ll assess your merit for this role by looking at what you’ve done previously - the knowledge, skills and experience you’ve built, your potential for development, and your personal qualities. The position requires an applicant who:
- Understands the organisation’s purpose and takes time to learn policies, regulations and standard operating procedures. Thinks and plans ahead, and informs supervisor of potential issues that may impact on colleagues or work tasks.
- Uses a range of tools and techniques to manage operational projects and achieve outcomes and deadlines. Analyses problems and develops logical options and solutions to address issues. Performs under limited direction from supervisor and copes effectively with changes in circumstances.
- Builds and sustains relationships with team members, customers and stakeholders. Provides courteous, prompt and professional service to customers. Supports and guides team members in achieving goals especially during busy or difficult working periods.
- Behaves in an honest, ethical and professional way. Understands the principles behind compliance and enforcement legislation and other regulatory frameworks that apply to Parks. Actively manages own safety, contributes to and promotes safety of others.
- Proactively engages with customers to enhance their park experience and ensure compliance. Seeks to understand customer needs and responds through effective use of resources, skills and techniques.
- Has knowledge and understanding of the principles of conservation and natural resource management as they relate to workplace health and safety, finance, compliance and emergency response. Understands a range of basic level trade skills with the ability to safely undertake general construction, repairs, and maintenance (where a tradesperson is not required). Applies skills in using basic computer applications and equipment relevant to the job.
There are no mandatory qualifications required to undertake this position, however a formal qualification would be highly regarded.