- Immediate Start
- Permanent position
- Salary $70,000 - $88,000
An exciting position is available for an experienced Soil Conservation Officer. Base yourself from Townsville and work in a great supported organisation.
IPA is looking for an experienced Soil Conservation Officer for an immediate start with our client within Townsville.
As part of the Sustainable Agriculture team, this position is primarily responsible for supporting land managers to rebuild their productivity and to restore eroded landscapes through erosion remediation. This will include planning and implementing activities to manage sheet, rill, gully and stream bank erosion processes and the design, layout and supervision of soil conservation works.
Key Responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to:
- Development and project management of specific soil management and soil conservation projects with land managers in priority areas, that conserves soil and promotes sustainable land management practices.
- Assessment of landscapes, interpretation of data sets, provision of technical advice, the design, using industry design standards, of cost-effective soil conservation remediation works, and the preparation of soil remediation plans and reports for the management of soil erosion processes.
- Supervision of contractors for earthwork activities to ensure alignment to legislation and best management practices will also be required.
- Tertiary qualifications in Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, or other relevant discipline and a minimum of 3 year’s soil conservation experience, preferably in grazing landscapes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of soil and water processes and the links between ground cover management and landscape stability, and detailed knowledge of cost-effective erosion mitigation options for sheet, rill, gully and stream bank erosion processes in grazed landscapes.
- Ability to survey and assess landscapes to determine soil and water processes, and demonstrated broad range of technical skills and knowledge in the design, layout and supervision of soil conservation works.
- Experience in the interpretation of topographical surveys, the use of aerial terrain mapping and LiDAR technology would be of distinct advantage to the role.
- The ability to use GIS software, in particular ArcGIS, as well as proficiency in field data collection and the use of GPS systems.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, facilitation and presentation skills, particularly with land managers.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of email, the internet and Google suite applications is essential.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a growing business. If you are looking for a challenging role that is fast paced, working for a dynamic team, please apply today.