Reef Catchments is a regional community not-for-profit business focused on enhanced use and management of natural resources (land, water, vegetation and ecosystem health) while maintaining a viable regional community.
Key Result Areas/Accountabilities for the position
- Provide agricultural extension (cane) and technical support to growers in the Mackay Whitsunday sugarcane growing regions, and other Reef Catchments programs.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with organisations and individuals that have an interest in agriculture systems, particularly cane.
- Collate outputs and outcomes achieved by the agriculture programs for the production of communication products and milestone reporting to funding providers.
- Develop communication, awareness and extension components of the various agricultural industries and programs led by Reef Catchments in the Mackay Whitsunday Region.
- Maintain project and landholder data management systems to produce data products that meet reporting and planning needs of Reef Catchments Sustainable Agriculture programs.
- Providing quality control for project related landholder, property and project planning and reporting documentation.
- Collect and manage data, practices and spatial mapping associated with on farm practice change.
- Participate in promotions, training, workshops and field day activities.
- Identify and assist in developing proposals and funding applications that relate to sustainable agriculture in the Mackay Whitsunday region.
- Ensure that contracted milestones and activities are completed on time and according to budget and lead the reporting of outputs and outcomes back to key government and private investors and stakeholders.
- Develop networks and maintain links with various natural resource management stakeholders including community groups, industry organisations, local government, interest groups, State & Commonwealth agencies, relevant to achieving enhanced natural resources management outcomes for the Mackay Whitsunday region.
- Conform to all Reef Catchments policies, procedures and operation processes.
- Work towards and support a safe, equitable and harassment free workplace.
- Comply with WH&S management systems, including statutory obligations.
Reports to: Coordinator - Sustainable Agriculture.
- SC1 - Tertiary qualification in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Applied Science or Natural Resource Management.
- SC2 – Demonstrated skills in data collection and management systems to produce data products to meet reporting and planning needs.
- SC3 - Good understanding of agricultural systems, particularly sugarcane, in tropical environments and the impact of agricultural land uses on water quality including the agricultural land use and management practices required to deliver improved water quality and natural resource outcomes in tropical environments.
- SC4 – Demonstrated skills in the development and implementation of agricultural improvement programs and projects including proposal writing, budgeting, reporting, contract and contractor management.
- SC5 - Demonstrated project management skills including the ability to coordinate multiple projects and budgets.
- SC6 - Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate with influence to a diverse client base including farmers, agricultural industry groups, government and contractors.
- SC7 - Current manual Driver’s Licence.
How you will be assessed
You will be assessed on how you meet the selection criteria listed in this role description. To ensure that sufficient information is provided to allow an informed assessment to be made, you are required to:
- Provide a response outlining your suitability for the position, with specific examples which address the bullet points listed under selection criteria. Your response should be no more than 2 pages; and
- Attach your current resume (of no more than 6 pages) including names and contact details of at least two (2) referees who have knowledge of your work.
The selection panel will assess your ability to perform the work required of the position based on your response and resume and other selection processes which may include an interview and/or work test.
Referees will be contacted to verify the information you provide and to comment on how well you demonstrate the attributes being sought.
For more information, or to apply, click 'View details' below.