Biodiversity Australia is a leading Australian Environmental Management Consulting Business focused on building sustainable partners, economic management and ecological balance.
Our Head Office is located in Coomera Waters on the Gold Coast with regional offices in Port Macquarie, Hunter Valley, North Queensland, South Australia and the Northern Territory.
This role comprises a mixture of terrestrial ecological technical leadership, project management, staff supervision, client liaison and business development.
Roles and responsibilities
- Technical leadership to ecological projects (from field flora and fauna surveys through to writing and review of high quality, technically robust reports)
- Direction and management of ecological projects for clients in the resources and infrastructure, government and defence, residential and aviation sectors including accountability for project profitability
- Technical leadership, coordination and mentoring of a small team of ecologists and fauna consultants
- Compliance reporting and monitoring
- Business development pursuit of new projects, and client communications
- The position is based in either South East Queensland, Darwin or the Surat Basin but with home office flexibility available. You will occasionally be required to travel to job sites Australia-wide for work requests of varying duration
Skills and experience
The Senior/Principal Ecologist that we are looking for will have some or all of the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in related discipline, with higher level degree(s) being considered favourably;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in ecological flora and fauna consulting or related fields;
- Extensive demonstrated knowledge of techniques, government standards/policies and experience in the delivery of all aspects and scales of ecological field surveys and statutory assessments for both flora and fauna.
- Highly detailed and demonstrable knowledge of and experience interpreting and applying relevant environmental legislation (QLD, Northern Territory and Commonwealth
- Medium to high level GIS skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Very high level of self-motivation, self-discipline, initiative and demonstrated ability to manage the position’s responsibility; and perform complex tasks and manage projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage all aspects of a project from planning logistics to supervising field staff.
- Thorough understanding of WH&S requirements and obligations.
- QLD Regional Ecosystem Framework and Bio-Condition training.
- Current Driver’s License
- Demonstrable high level botanical skills i.e. identification, vegetation community mapping, biometrics, REs, etc.
- Knowledge and proven capability in preparing Environmental Impact Statements and similar environmental approvals documents; and an associated demonstrated knowledge of legislation aside from that specifically dealing with ecological matters.
- QLD S11 General Coal Mine Induction
- Postgraduate and specialist studies in relevant fields
- Demonstrated experience working with the mining and resource industries, and/or linear infrastructure on major projects at the planning and/or implementation stage.
- High level and depth of experience in vertebrate pest management from preparing large scale management strategies to devising and implementing monitoring plans.
- Experience in planning, implementing and managing major vegetation restoration or rehabilitation programs and plans, including project development, planning, implementation and funding.
- Established relationships with Government bodies at State and Local levels.
- Qualifications in Business Development, Project Management and building client relationships.
- Skills/experience in statistical knowledge of ecological data and complex survey design and/or data analysis such as habitat ranking and modelling.
- Knowledge/experience in aquatic ecology/fisheries survey and assessment (but not exclusive specialisation or qualifications in these fields)
- Current First Aid Certificate
To apply, click 'View details' below.