Operating from within Water Policy, you will be involved in the development of innovative management solutions and policy for the development of Water Plans and other policy relating to the efficient and sustainable management of Queensland’s water resources.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
- Support and assist in the formulation of practical and innovative water allocation and management policies, methodologies and programs.
- Coordinate and contribute to the development of solutions to support the implementation of State water allocation and management policies, by applying and consolidating experience from a diverse range of professional and scientific disciplines including water resource management, hydrology, riparian and aquatic biology, catchment management, riverine morphology, economics and sociology.
- Provide technical expertise and specialist policy advice to Departmental staff, and senior management on water allocation and management policy issues of state-wide and national strategic significance.
- Assist in the coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams and specialist task groups (including external consultants) in the formulation, development and implementation of natural resource management policy to achieve desired results within budget and on schedule.
- Participate in consultations on complex water allocation issues with government departments, industry organisations, stakeholders and the community.
- Prepare and provide input into the development of discussions papers, cabinet submissions, media publications and other policy documentation as required to support, progress and communicate state and national policy initiatives and their implications.
- Prepare specifications and manage contracts for the provision of consulting services covering a range of specialist disciplines including hydrology, ecology, social/economic studies and information technology.
- Other duties as directed and required.
In completing the role of Senior Policy Officer, the following capabilities from the DNRME Capability Framework are required for this role.
- Drafts policy demonstrating a broad appreciation of whole-of-government and political impact by consolidating information and critically reviewing input from a wide range of disciplines (Policy and Governance).
- Builds strong client and key stakeholder relationships and conveys complex materials in an easy to understand style and manner (Client Engagement).
- Demonstrates strong technical skills and knowledge and is able to impart knowledge and train others (Technical Expertise)
- Delivers tasks and projects on time, to budget and meeting customer expectations (Customer focused)
- Leads and/or works effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary project team (Personal Ownership).
Mandatory Requirements or Special Conditions
- A degree qualification in Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Applied Science, Land/Water/Natural Resource management, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Environmental Law, or agreed equivalent as determined by the Director-General.
For more information, or to apply, click 'View details' below.