The Burnett Mary Regional Group (BMRG) is a not for profit organisation that delivers targeted natural resource management (NRM) outcomes for the Burnett Mary region. BMRG is of 14 regional bodies that cover Queensland, and directs investment into community based programs, working closely with government, industry, community groups and landholders.
We implement projects that deliver positive outcomes for water quality, ecological diversity, sustainable land management practice, cultural heritage values, coastal and marine management and Great Barrier Reef outcomes.
The purpose of the role is to work collaboratively with stakeholders (agriculture industry, extension services providers, NRM, catchment groups) to enhance extension service delivery and improve water quality in the Burnett Mary region for Great Barrier Reef outcomes. This role will work across grains, grazing, horticulture and cane industries.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Establish Regional Extension Coordination Groups for key industries and ongoing engagement, to facilitate ongoing information sharing and joint decision making.
- Develop a Burnett Mary Regional Extension Plan (sugarcane, grains, horticulture and grazing) in conjunction with the Regional Extension Coordination Group and update annually. The plan aims to identify priorities for future extension delivery to achieve priority water quality targets.
- Work with and support the DAF Manager (Extension Coordination) in organising cross-regional activities and sharing of approaches/learnings with other coordinators.
- Collect and synthesise information on regional capacity and demand for current and future landholder engagement, including staff, engagement (trials, workshops, BMP and incentives projects) and adoption.
- Work with stakeholders in the Burnett Mary region to facilitate discussion, share information and implement ways to improve collaboration, minimise duplication and target extension delivery to achieve water quality priorities identified in the Burnett Mary Water Quality Improvement Plan.
- Conduct an annual skills audit and training needs analysis of regional extension delivery staff and coordinate training programs to address identified needs.
- Facilitate a targeted and collaborative approach to delivering additional extension activities via flexible funds, aligned to the Burnett Mary Regional Extension Plan.
- Assist the Manager (Extension Coordination) to provide feedback annually to the Australian and Queensland Governments on extension delivery, gaps and opportunities for future landholder engagement to help inform future investment.
- Enhance links and communication between researchers, Paddock to Reef program staff and extension officers to improve information exchange, evaluation of extension effort and feedback to better target producer engagement to achieve water quality targets.
- Support the implementation of recommendations from the E&E Review, such as the reef-wide extension network, capacity building, feedback workshops and monitoring and evaluation of extension effort.
- Strengthen links and collaboration between extension and other landholder engagement initiatives (e.g. BMP, grants, regulations) to maximise water quality improvement.
Qualifications and Experience
Tertiary qualifications in Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Management, or a related discipline. A strong background in agricultural extension, stakeholder engagement and facilitation skills would be highly regarded.
- Possession of a current Australian Drivers Licence (manual).
- The ability to travel and spend nights away from the home to attend meetings, workshops, conferences and training.
For more information or to apply, click 'View details' below.